Saturday 1 February 2014

Glasses schmasses...

Glasses schmasses...

So very recently, I started wearing glasses. I have mild astigmatism, which affects my ability to see straight lines (I think, who knows?) so I only have to wear them for reading. And because I only started wearing them so recently, and because I take them on and off all the time, I have started noticing some stuff...

The good points? I can see now. Wow. Who knew that most people could actually read what time their train was coming, because believe me, it used to baffle me on a day to day basis.

There are, of course, benefits to wearing glasses. For a start, I can see now. I know what the lesson is about without actually listening to the teacher (thank god). I know when my train is coming. I know whether it's my bus or someone else's, without having to awkwardly turn to a complete strange and ask. Because of stupid society ideas, apparently they make me look smarter (read: completely geeky) and that can only be a good thing. I now have a reason to wear the "who you calling four eyes?" badge on my school uniform.

And I became oddly popular for a day with all the "Wait, you wear glasses now?" Yes, random citizen. No shit.

But whilst I love not mistaking random people for my friends and not getting headaches as often, there is no denying that wearing glasses can suck. Majorly.

For a start, I have had to bury my headphones deep in the bowels of my bedroom. It's earphones only for me now, considering that all headphones seem to do is shove the sides of my glasses into my skull. That means that annoying people who I love to death but mostly hate my friends can walk up to me and pull out an earphone to tell me trite rubbish their important problems, in the middle of the silent, solo moshpit that is my mind.

Has someone left a copy of the Metro on the train seat? Better yet, has my friend found a hilarious cartoon in the paper that she wants to show me? Great. But I can't see it. Because I don't have my glasses. If I had my way, I would have school glasses and home glasses, because, because I don't wear glasses all the time, just for reading, it means that when I take them off I leave them annoying places. And then I can't see to find my glasses.

I was born and raised in England, so obviously I drink vast quantities of tea. This is going to sound weird to pretty much everyone. But nevermind. When I drink tea, if I breathe, then my breath reflects off the tea and makes my glasses steam up. It's not just with tea, though. I can't read in the bath anymore. I have also noticed that if I have wet hair and I'm outside, then my glasses steam up then! What? No one told me about this...

I just count down the days until I can afford contact lenses. One day, one day...

Bella x


No comments:

Post a Comment