Tuesday 15 April 2014

Fall/ Winter - 2014/15 Trends

Fall/ Winter - 2014/15 Trends

Pretty sure I was way too late to catch up with the summery trends bandwagon, but that's okay because the fall, winter and pre-fall (I know what it is, but why do you exist, pre-fall?) runway shows have just packed up so I thought I might give a short commentary on a few of the trends.

One of the more exciting trends, in my humble opinion, were the fantasy inspired clothes we saw from brands and designers such as Dolce and Gabbana, Alexander McQueen, Mary Katrantzou and Jun Takahashi. Think Kalel Cullen's "Wonderland Wardrobe". I personally can't wait to sew myself a Little Red Riding Hood cape, which I've wanted to do ever since my sister bought herself a Survey Corps costume, but for many of us this Game of Thrones-esque trend might just involve wearing chunky riding boots or going more formal with a lace and mesh, almost ballroom inspired dress. It's very pretty but also reasonably strong and almost masculine. The colours seem to less typical of the red fall colours often exhibited, instead tending to lean more towards fir greens and dark purples - a far more regal looking palette.

The items below from the fantasy ideas show a few of the more popular facets shown within this trend - large, oversized shawl-cape things beridden with images of animals; dresses with heavy boots, made in plush materials such as velvet with mesh overlays, with intricate stitching; longer, more formal dresses that could easily be worn by a harsh queen in a fantasy program or film.


Mui Mui, Ralph Lauren, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, St Laurent and Valentino seemed to be bringing back the trends of the 1960s - with mini skirts, trapeze dresses, Mary Janes and pastel colours on the catwalk. I am less excited about this trend (I'm way too short to pull off the long, elegant lines exhibited, which would look more in place on, say, Twiggy) but the colours are incredibly nice - they give the whole look a "babydoll" feel according to Vogue, and I have to agree.


Alexander McQueen, Fendi, Roberto Cavalli, Versace and Pucci but to name a few exhibited fur coats on the runways, which I found a little upsetting. I mean, I do understand that we eat meat, and we do use leather but the skinning of animals for fur is particularly harsh as the fur tends to come from animals we do not eat, causing massive waste. The coats were striking, but also gave across slightly odd Cruella deVil vibes, which I am pretty sure they were not going for.

20 trends for Fall/Winter 2014-2015 Eccentric furs Just Cavalli Alexander McQueen Fendi Marc Jacobs

SO, I've discussed a few things that might be coming into shops this winter and fall, but what do you think? What would you have liked to have come back in (I personally was crossing my fingers for lolita to make it big in Western fashion, but hey!)?

Bella xx

No comments:

Post a Comment