Monday 14 April 2014

Things I Wear #1: "I Wish I Was In Freaks and Geeks"

Things I Wear #1: "I Wish I Was In Freaks and Geeks"

I do find fashion interesting, less so trends, but definitely clothing. I see what we wear as an expression of who we are - a less permanent tattoo. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, people judge you and decide things about you immediately. And that's why it took me so long to upload anything clothing related.

So I thought I would do a "What I Wear" thing, known to pretty much everyone as an "Outfit of the Day", except I only wear one outfit each day so how can you have an "Outfit of the Day", occasionally, maybe once a week, once a fortnight. This one is "I Wish I Was in Freaks and Geeks" which was a fabulous show that ran for only one series (wipes a solitary tear away.) I also thought that, because I'm doing GCSE textiles and it does interest me, I might do a little more commentary of things.

I wore these things today just being out and about in my local village, but to be honest I would wear the same thing at something more formal. It consists of;

My darling Dr. Martens - these were limited addition about two years ago and are now beginning to scuff. They were really muddy today, but that was okay because I like to draw ideas for clothing from grunge and punk fashions. They're quite feminine though, because of the pink flower design. Doctor Martens were created by a German soldier in World War II, Klaus Märtens, who injured his ankle whilst skiing. They became popular amongst punks in the late 1980s, and became more mainstream with the rise of grunge fashion in the 1990s.
Capezio seamless ballet tights - because I have an inability to wear normal tights (I feel weird in see through tights and black tights aren't my thing), and I couldn't find any of my brightly coloured tights to match or clash appealingly with the skirt, I resort to wearing my ballet tights all the time. I have to wear seamless for exams so they're the only ones I own, but to be honest I think seamed ones are nicer looking. There's not really a fashion story for this one...

Topshop Red Tartan Skater Skirt - I have no idea what it was originally called, but I really liked it and I got it just after Christmas when people were returning things - it was previously out of stock. It's got this amazing pure black and red tartan pattern, but also right the way down the back it has an exposed metal zip which goes right the way down. Technically you're meant to wear it the other way around with the zip all the way down the front, but it felt a bit weird to me. Although with it at the back I am constantly afraid that it will come undone and my skirt will fall off... Because tartan was originally associated with British and aristocracy, when worn in the late 1970s by punk men and women in unconventional ways it was used as an anti-establishment symbol. 

Grey Beatles Abbey Road Tshirt - This I don't know where it was from, a friend of mine brought it once to a rehearsal of a play, saying she didn't want it anymore. It's grey with the famous Beatles Abbey Road photograph in a darker grey, and that's really all there is to it.

Cheap Monday Denim Jacket - The denim jacket goes up to my ribs, the sleeves are wayyy too long so I rolled them up. The metal buttons have this really nice, Alexander McQueen-esque depiction of a smiling skull which is really cool, and the stitching is in a brown-ish yellow, so it matches the yellow stitching which is trademark of Dr Martens. It's a heavy denim and quite a light one too. Whilst denim jackets were originally created for the work place to protect the body, due to companies such as Levi Strauss they have been popular since the early 1900s.

Fall Out Boy Necklace - This totally simple necklace I made over the Christmas holidays. I took a cardboard present label, wrote the insignia "Do not open before Christmas", threaded it through a chain and voila! A subtle tribute to the song "Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued", that doesn't lead to constant questions.                                                                                                                 Bracelets - Bought from a seaside stall, one is leather and blue with a heart catch, and one is some gemstone cut on elastic.


Bella Fern x




No comments:

Post a Comment