Wednesday 16 April 2014

Things I Wear #3

"I Don't Think We're In Kansas The 1950s Anymore" 


This look was inspired by Dorothy, hence the name - "I Don't Think We're in Kansas the 1950s Anymore", due to the fifties twist in the polka dots. The dress is a purply blue with white spots, I bought it and had to dig out my red shoes to give this a go. I love emulating film characters - not quite cosplay, but a little more than just stealing their style.

Polka dot blue cotton dress, Primark - I tend to not own things from Primark, but I saw this yesterday and I thought it was lovely. The cut is like my favourite denim smock, but it is blue with white polka dots, and I thought it was cute modern take on retro. I might have to invest in a detachable peter pan collar...Polka dots hearken to the 1950s, summing up the best of Mad Men-era America: optimistic, prosperous, ostensibly prim, but also dizzyingly energetic, the atomic age dissolving into particles before our eyes. Most clearly, polka dots suggest simplicity, fun, childhood (with a bent towards girlishness), which is adorable and makes an otherwise plain dress pretty cute. I rolled up the sleeves because they were quite long on my short arms, as it's a size too big, which gave them a little poof! Dorothy wore a blue dress over a white blouse in the film, The Wizard of Oz.

Blue bow hairband, Claire's - The bow has thin blue stripes on white, and also has the occasional pink flower pattern. Hair bows have been prominent since the Victorian era, and were dubbed Alice bands after Alice was seen wearing them in Through the Looking Glass. They have long been a symbol of femininity. Dorothy herself wore her hair plaited and tied with two bows similar to this - my hair is too layered to plait in this way, so I had to approximate.


White Socks with Red Bows, Partica - These socks came as part of a costume from Partica, assuming from where I found them in my room (in the dressing up box in a Partica bag?) These silk white ankle socks give the whole outfit a very childlike appearance, whilst tights would give the opposite effect. The large frill and the red ribbon give them a goofy, geeky effect which matches the shoes.

Red Martie T-bar Mary Janes, Topshop - The red shoes are the statement of this look. They, in truth are relatively dark, almost a burgundy outside of sunlight, but outside they sparkle almost like Dorothy's. Although less popular than in the past, T-bars remain a timeless classic of children's fashion and, for many people, a symbol of childhood. I used to wear shoes like this to school (in black) and used to hate how hopelessly babyish they were, but now they come across to me as quirky and sweet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment