Friday 18 April 2014

Things I Wear #4

"Just Another Stuck-Up School-Ma'am"


About this post, I am sorry. I had virtually no sleep last night, and this was the only type of post I felt awake enough to do (I wrote a post about the school system, and it came across as so whiny and moany and ungrateful - mostly because it was, so I'm letting it slide until I'm awake again. I might be able to make it coherant and upload it anyway, but for now there is this, far shallower post). I know that this is a pretty boring outfit, but let's deal, okay? Together, we slide!

White bow t-shirt, Johnnie B - It's really loose fitting, with an open neckline, it kind of sits on my shoulders. It's pretty. Um...I used it as a kind of feminine equivalent to a shirt - this loosely fitted tshirt, as I didn't want to go overboard on the whole "school" front, because nobody enjoys wearing school uniform, do they!

Navy Pinafore, Oxfam - I mean, technically it's not a pinafore. It's more like a dungaree dress, but nowadays we call them pinafores. That's a thing, right? I'm not just making this up? Pinafores were worn as decorative pieces of clothing, but also as protective aprons. Pinafores were traditionally "pinned" onto the front of a dress, hence the name. A key feature of a pinafore, is that it is open at the back (like this one, maybe it is a pinafore...) I associate pinafores with my primary school uniform, so it was right for this look that draws on old fashion students from black and white films.

Brown Corsage, Charity Shop - I've always been a bit of a fan of pinning things like badges and corsages where they have no business in being (NB the safety pins I couldn't resist pinning to my pocket). Traditionally they're work to more formal occasions, which made the whole "ye olde school" vibe more potent.

White over-the-knee Socks - These thick white woolly socks go to over the knee, keeping the quite short skirt of the pinafore still reasonably demure. I have no sock knowledge to bequeath to you, but I do have a semi-interesting tit-bit of information which you can ponder, because it makes NO SENSE! At my school, knee socks are allowed. And tights are allowed. Any socks that go over your knees are banned because they're indecent. Explain that one to me? Socks in general, but especially thick woollen ones are associated with schools, which made them right to wear with these things which gives it a general studently or teachery feel.

Ribbons, Carluccios - If you are interested, Carluccios does an Easter cake, and it was wrapped with these beautiful ribbons in a peach colour, a yellow and a little blue ribbon. Not to let them go to waste, they are tied up in my hair today, behind my fringe and above my bunches, but I do intend to incorportate them into the clothes I am designing at the moment for six to nine year olds. More on that some other time.

Denim Hairband, Claire's - I used to pin back my fringe all of the time, now I tend to carry one just in case my hair gets all up in my business - I mean my eyes.

Burgundy t-bar shoes, Topshop - See my post from two days ago for information about these.


Well, I tried. I tried after getting no sleep. I promise to be back with quality content tomorrow. Many thanks, Bella Fern xx

No comments:

Post a Comment