Saturday 26 April 2014

Lush Herbalism: Review

Is This the World's Best Skincare Product?


I am a teenager, and since I turned eleven, I've had acne. Not awful acne, although sometimes pretty bad, but by the time I began using Herbalism, it had cleared up quite a bit. I had blackheads all over my nose and between my eyebrows, and one my chin and was prone to spots, especially around my period. I also have an oily t-zone and a dry forehead, and the rest of my skin is pretty average in terms of oil. What is a person to do?

LUSH makes several of these facial exfoliator and cleaner things, but Herbalism is the one recommended for people with oily skin or problem skin. Whilst it is for people with oily skin, though, it is not at all drying. It leaves the skin feeling supple, and not stripped of natural oil, which is good as if skin is stripped of this, it tends to overcompensate, leaving you with greasy skin.

I was recommended this product by a salesperson in LUSH, and have almost finished my second small tub of this stuff. I would definitely recommend buying the smaller tubs - for one, as a teenager it is easier to budget little amounts of money over time - but also because the ingredients are so natural, it only lasts about three or four months, depending on when your pot was made. If you cleanse twice a day, and occasionally forget, you can use the small pots within this time, but it might be a little bit of a push to finish the large pots.

First off, it's middle of the range in terms of price. One pot is £6.40, but believe me when I say it will go a long way. It is also a lot cheaper than other high street exfoliating cleaners such as the ones that Vichy does, and I think it works a lot more effectively. The packaging is sturdy and when you screw the lid on, is watertight so that the product is still effective after a long period of time.

It's a little odd - it a green thing - between a paste and crumbs; the more you use it the more it crumbles. You take a pinch of it, and you add a little water - just a few drops - and it becomes an mild, natural exfoliant and cleanser which goes a long way. It's gentle enough to use as an exfoliant morning and night. As a cleanser, it removes makeup on your skin, but if, like me, you use waterproof eye makeup or black lipstick *cough* probably just me *cough* then you might want to use a baby wipe to get the last of it off after using this product.

A lot of people commented on hating the smell. I find the smell reasonably innoffensive. Unlike their facial scrub for people with perfect skin - god, I hate those people - "Let the Good Times Roll" which smelt of popcorn-ey goodness, this product smells fresh, like herbs. It is not a strong smell at all, I personally approve.

This product is a natural exfoliant, which on sensitive or skin with acne, can be unpleasant or overly abrasive, leading to horrible pinpoint bleeding. Not so for Herbalism. This product does exfoliate effectively, but the give that natural ground almonds have over using beads that most exfoliators use make it nice and sensitive on your skin. I've washed my face with this with a bleeding lip, and it did not sting, which is blooming amazing, especially as the product contains nettle!

LUSH is renowned for fighting animal testing, being entirely vegetarian (this product is actually vegan), using only natural products and safe synthetics (this product uses entirely natural products), endorsing ethical buying and being handmade. This product is no different, and I personally greatly approve of this, and it means I can wash my face without feeling guilty. 

No product is perfect, and this is no exception. The very green colour of this product can be a little messy when mixed with water, and so it can be a good idea to pull your emo fringe off your face to do this, and use your hands instead of a face cloth to avoid it being tinged green. It also might be a product to use before changing into your white dress for the day but considering you only need a tiny, weeny bit the damage is minimal.

Overall, I loved using Herbalism and will completely buy it again. I use it twice daily and have found that my blackheads are reduced, as are regular spots - but more importantly that my skin is always glowing and feels supple and soft.

No comments:

Post a Comment